How to treat dry scalp in children
Dry scalp problem is not limited to the adults. It can affect anyone at any age. It is not difficult to treat dry scalp problem, but it need some of your efforts. Here are some causes and tips on how to treat dry scalp in children.
It is a type of fungal infection which is very well known for causing dry scaly scalp in children. Some common signs of Tinea capitis inflamed nodules around hair follicles, scaling with discharge etc.
Cradle cap, is also one of the contributing factors to dry scalp. It is normally treated with oil, Vaseline or hydrocortisone cream. Do consult with your doctor if you find that it is spreading to other body areas.
Atopic dermatitis, or eczema, is another common reason for dry scalp condition in children. It is well known for its itchiness and rashes.
It is thick silvery scales of the scalp. It is mainly treated with coal tar based shampoos.
Scabies is well known for causing dry and extremely itchy scalp in children. It can infest infants as well as children and adults.
There are many causes of dry scalp, or dandruff, such as dry environment, change in season, dry air, allergic reaction, frequently washing, hair care products, and dehydrated body etc.
Tips on how to treat dry scalp:
- Use a good quality –herbal anti dandruff shampoo or shampoo that contains zinc pyrithione or ketoconazole.
- Avoid washing your child’s hair too frequently, try to limit hair washing to every 2 days.
- Stay away from heat and heat appliances like blow dryers, curling irons etc.
- Moisturize the scalp with natural oils like olive oil, tea tree oil etc.
- Keep your child’s body well hydrated by increasing his/her water intake.
- Stay away from hair styling products like gels, mousses, creams, and sprays